Tooth enamel is known to be the hardest part of the body. It is made of a semi-clear, hard outer layer that protects the teeth from wear and tear. Enamel is also responsible for protecting the tooth from the effects of extreme temperature from the cold or hot foods and drinks that you consume. Tooth enamel also fends off the chemicals and acids that may lead to damage of the teeth.
What Causes Tooth Erosion?
Your teeth are more prone to decay and cavities as the outer shell erodes. Damage to the outer layer of the teeth can be caused by the following:
● Sweet Foods: Bacteria in the mouth usually thrives on sugars. This produces acid that can eat away at enamel.
● Sour Candy: Sour Candy contains high levels of acid that can be harmful to your teeth.
● Dry Mouth: Saliva aids in the prevention of tooth decay as it washes away bacteria and leftover foods.
How Do I Prevent It?
The best way to prevent tooth erosion is practicing proper dental care. This includes brushing twice daily, flossing, and regular dental appointments to your cosmetic dentist in Mentor OH. Other measures include:
● Reducing your intake of acidic foods and drinks
● Rinsing your mouth with water after consuming acidic foods
● Drinking soda and other acidic drinks through a straw
● Drinking milk after meals or eating cheese to cancel out the acids
● Drinking more water